Thursday, June 7, 2012

Recipes from my Mother's Table


I don't normally talk much about books on this blog. There are a few reasons:


  1. I generally buy books get 1/3 of the way through them and I don't finish them... I do have the best intention but I just don't finish them...
  2. I am into the chicklit genre of books... these type of books I do finish in hours or days.  I can safely say that Watermelon by Marion Keyes in my all time favourite books... sorry I am not your literary type.
  3. I LOVE Cookbooks, I love reading them and occassionally (I mean occassionally!) cook from them.  Another category of classics for me, not something to discuss in bookclub!




Which brings us to todays post.  Yesterday I bought yet another cookbook, I do have close to 70 cookbooks.  But this one is different, I know it!  This is Recipes from my Mother's Kitchen by Guy Grossi, of Grossi Florentino, Mirka at Tolarno's fame.  Apart from giving us an insight to his wonderful family's background, the recipes found here are amazing.  I guess if you had to have one Italian cookbook this would have to be it.  I love the authenticity of the recipes, it is page after page of old time favourites as well some lesser known recipes without having to use 100s of different ingredients.  A lot of the recipes have ingredients that can be found in your fridge or pantry. 



Simple recipes like Spaghetti Con Passata (sounds so much better than Spaghetti with Tomato sauce..to Polenta Fritta Con Gorgonzola (Fried Polenta with Gorgonzola)...to Spezzatino (Briased Beef)...to Scaloppine Al Vino Bianco (Veal Slices with White Wine Sauce)

As for the desserts OMG!


Connoli Di Ricotta (Ricotta-filled Cannoli)...Torta Di Cioccolato (Flourless Chocolate Cake)


to my favourite dessert at the moment...Castagnole (Ricotta Fritters)



I know this will not be under my coffee table as decoration (yes! I do have cookbooks as decoration as well, remember I have 70 of them!)

Chat soon

Hxx






No comments:

Post a Comment